Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 5

Yesterday was a little less easy going than the last, but not too much. Since she has not been eating her hard food, we have been giving her soft canned food. Like I mentioned earlier, this loosened her bowels and she went to the bathroom 4 times yesterday. She is a fluffy thing, so it got all over her fur on her back end, and I would have to clean her up every time. 

The vet advised us not to bathe her just yet, but I want to so bad. The first time was really messy, so I just held her up and ran her back end under some warm water and cleaned her up. After that, which was really difficult to do myself, I have started holding her tail up while she does her business. Sometimes when she urinates she will get some on her leg too. I clean her up with some doggie wipes or Huggies Baby Wipes afterwards. I am so proud she hasn't had an accident in her kennel!

These are the wipes we use. We got them at a grocery store and they work really well!


She slept well during the day yesterday, but got very anxious and restless towards the end of the day. I didn't know what to do. I took her out because sometimes she starts to whine and move around when she needs to go outside. That wasn't it, so I figured she was either in pain or was just plain pissed she was in that kennel. She was shaking (which she used to do before the accident, anyway) but then she would start panting, which is a sign of pain. Couldn't tell if it was just her being worked up or not. Also, while washing her off, I realized how badly bruised she is. Basically the entire back half of her body is dark purple, besides her left leg. Her right leg is still extremely swollen and bruised as well.

Dr. Henderson is trying to wean her off of her narcotic pain medication, so we were sent home with a very, very small amount to last us until wednesday. She was getting 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml at night, and we got sent home with probably about 2 - 2 1/2 mls to last us a week. We really have to ration it and it's killing me seeing her hurting! But she is also getting a non-narcotic pain medication and anti-inflammatory as well as an antibiotic everyday. Hopefully that is doing something. I give her about 1/4 ml if she looks to be hurting and see how she acts after that.

As for her ACE bandage sling we have been using to help her have support and balance while sniffing out the perfect place outside, I think she really enjoys it. She won't stop! Its almost like she gets very frantic but in a very excited way. I have to stop her and tell her to calm down, I don't want her to hurt herself. She is really impressing me!

Surprisingly she slept well last night, she finally calmed down and went to sleep. I have been sleeping on the living room floor next to her kennel and she only woke up once and whined for a minute then went back to sleep. She is doing well this morning, but had another loose BM. Tried to get her to eat hard food with no avail, checked her teeth to make sure her mouth isn't injured (per advice from a forum, didn't even think of that) and she was fine. Heated up some hard food with a little water to soften it, and mixed a very small amount of the canned food with it to give it that smell. She ate it! But she isn't drinking as much water as before. She is being so good, though. More to come later!

Resting well with her friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment